Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Staring Up at a Leaky Dam

I’ve been a late bloomer since birth.  Maybe I was even born late…don’t recall Mom’s recollections.  My ability to ride a bike bloomed late.  Swimming skills bloomed late.  My girl parts bloomed late.  Dating, the discovery of alcoholic wonderment, paying all my own bills, and all other manner of rite-passing occurred later than it did for the entire sum of my peerage.  Now, upon reaching adulthood, I’ve come to discover that all that late blooming made allowances for what I now consider to be a relatively easy life thus far…which is why I—in all my late-blooming glory—am just now discovering the joys of coping with life’s manifold badnesses.

Don’t get me wrong.  There are lots of good things happening right now, a new job and move to Austin in particular.  But some of the aforementioned badness has been happening right along with it which smashes new chinks into my own personally-maintained Dam Against Negativity.  Each new chink and resulting stream of escaping, potentially-life-endangering water indicates another victory for the Army of Badness seemingly intent upon destabilizing my now-stabilizing existence.  What if more chinks happen?  What if my late-blooming coping skills aren’t strong enough to fill in the badness chinks by focusing/building upon the re-buttressing goodness?  I don’t have enough experience with this and am feeling kind of crumbly right now (darn happy childhood and teen years!) 

At present, almost all of my energies are focused upon dam maintenance.  And since I’m the only maintenance engineer on the April’s Life payroll, staring up at the existing leaks is draining me still further. 

Maybe there are some late-blooming superhuman characteristics about to burst forth!

4 comments:

  1. if you struggle with the dam, you call on your friends (and for some people family...not me) to help hold back the water. seriously. i don't see any other point in life, if we can't be there for our friends and vice versa.

    need help moving? i like helping people move. it is exercise with a purpose.

    can't wait to hang out here in austin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I do indeed call upon my friends and, yes, family too :-) Thanks for the words of support AND the offer of assistance! I used an apartment-finding service that supposedly moves you for free, so we'll see how that goes. However, when I get settled we're totally meeting for dinner somewhere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Life Time Venting Coupon comes with a Life Time Maintenance, Repair, Redecorating, Buttressing, Building, Etc. attachment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm incredibly thankful for that! All coupon inclusions shall be used as often as needed *hugs*

    ReplyDelete