Thursday, June 23, 2011

Math: an even bigger WHY??

I became an English major for a reason.  Like waterbugs, I find all things mathematical to be troubling, stressful, and for most areas of my life, inapplicable.  Of course addition, subtraction, multiplication, division...these processes may be applied helpfully to daily life.  But graphing linear equations?  Working with logarithms, sines, and cosines?  Finding the value of f(g(x)?  Appolonius, Pythagoras, and Descartes can all go to hades, as far as I'm concerned...do not pass purgatorial "go," do not collect your $200 refund from that Charon guy.


My college degree is almost complete.  As of May 2012 I shall be the proud possesser of a Bachelor of English degree, but in order to progress to that illustrious point, a college algebra course must be tackled and passed.  In order to progress to that hateful point, a math placement test must be endured and passed.  This test is scheduled for Wednesday, June 29th.  I've been glued to math.com, am reviewing a basic college math textbook, and up to a point I'm doing grandly.  But once you get to the point in math where there are so many more letters in the mix than numbers--even to the extent that you could start punctuating each equation--you have a serious problem!  Letters are for making words: words that tell a story, words that convey a feeling, words that describe a moment in time that has NOTHING to do with the slope of x and y.  I already know the stupid line is sloped.  It's going uphill.  Isn't that what a slope typically does?


The inanity of this particular placement test, however, arises from it being classified as an indicator of a student's readiness to take college algebra.  Okay.  I get that.  Let me prove to you that I can work with decimals and percentages, fractions, all manner of factoring, finding square roots, finding circumference and area of geometric shapes, solving algebraic equations, and even getting a little crazy with the changeable "greater than or equal to" signage.  But why do you have advanced college algebra PLUS trigonometry problems on a test to see if you're ready to take advanced college algebra and trigonometry for the first time?  If I already knew how to do this stuff, why the crap would I need the class?


Again, I became an English major for a reason.

2 comments:

  1. There's a reason the alaphabet song was one of the first you ever learned ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...'cuz nobody wants to learn the "find the value of x when y equals z" song! Ugh...to call math a "language" is an insult to language.

    ReplyDelete